Scottish Development International
Senior Business Development Executive
Salary: EURO 48,000 to 55,000 (Permanent Contract)
Scottish Development International (SDI) is the Scottish Government’s international investment promotion agency. SDI supports Scottish-based companies to win business internationally, and engages with overseas companies to attract Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) into Scotland. Through its overseas Field Sales Teams, SDI promotes Scotland’s value proposition across a range of key business sectors by identifying and building strong relationships with senior decision-makers in corporations throughout the globe, to achieve assigned inward investment and job creation targets. Our work in recent years has been a resounding success – the results of a 2014 international survey confirmed Scotland’s position as the UK’s number one destination outside of London for FDI.
SDI is seeking a Senior Business Development Executive to join a team of 7 staff based at its office in central Düsseldorf to deliver its trade and inward investment targets and supporting activities within the region, primarily in Germany. The job holder will be one of 4 Senior Executives in the Düsseldorf office and will have main responsibility for Financial / Business Services (FBS) sectors, particularly FinTech. He / She will also have a role in covering a range of ICT, Technologies, Engineering and Creative Industries (TAE) sectors.
He / She will be supported by an Assistant Business Development Executive and report to the locally-hired Regional Manager.
This job involves regular travel (primarily within Switzerland, Germany, to Scotland and sporadically other parts of Europe), including training / briefing visits to Scotland, and occasional business networking events outside normal working hours.
Specifically, the Senior Executive will:
• Identify and build relationships with new potential inward investors (FDI) into Scotland within the FBS and TAE sectors and sell to those companies the benefits of locating in Scotland in a Consultative Sales approach
• Relationship manage senior level contacts within a number of existing investor accounts, in order to identify new opportunities or threats for investment in Scotland
• Participate in account management teams for those existing investors and assist proactively in the development of account development strategies for those customers
• Through the above activities, contribute to the achievement of assigned inward investment and job creation targets
• Consult and advise Scottish companies / organisations from FBS and TAE sectors on their market entry strategies into the region
• Support SDI marketing and representational activities, including general and sector specific activities
• Implement and support visit programmes, primarily to Germany, on behalf of Scottish Ministers and senior officials
• Develop and maintain good working relationships with key partner organisations and stakeholders throughout the region and in Scotland
To be successful in this exciting and challenging role you will require:
• Knowledge of and experience in some of the FBS and TAE sectors in Germany and/or Switzerland
• Marketing orientation and proven ability to achieve results / success within a Consultative Sales / Strategic Sales environment
• A degree (or equivalent level of experience) in marketing / sales or business management
• Proven customer relationship management skills
• Strong communication (written and oral) skills in both German and English language
• A team player ethos and ability to work successfully within a geographically dispersed ‘virtual team’ to achieve common objectives
• Strong self organisation and project management skills
• Knowledge of all major MS Office applications
The following criteria are not essential but would also be desirable:
• Similar work experience, either with another investment promotion agency or economic development agency or in a consultancy capacity
• Previous experience of working with/in the UK / Scotland
Application letter and CV (in English) should be sent to Johannes Augustin, Regional Manager Central Europe, SDI (email@example.com). Please also specify where you saw this job advertised.
Closing date: Friday, 04th December 2015